Text Updates Completed

go moko gomoko at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 1 07:58:06 PST 2005

--- Jim Gifford <lfs at jg555.com> wrote:

> I just finished updating a lot of text in the book.
> I request that
> anyone that views the 11302005 and later version of
> the book(when it
> gets rendered) to help verify the text. If you see
> something that is
> questionable or don't like the wording, post a note
> here or reply to
> this message.

Chapter 7:

- 7.1
"minimal system that will be used to boot the target
machine and to build them the final system packages"
=> "minimal system that will be used to boot the
target machine and to build ***there*** the final
system packages"

- 7.2.1
"The meaning of the configure options:
--with-root-prefix=""
Certain programs (such as the e2fsck program) are
considered essential programs. When, for example, /usr
is not mounted, these programs still need to be
available. They belong in directories like /lib and
/sbin. If this option is not passed to E2fsprogs'
configure, the programs are installed into the /usr
directory.
--enable-elf-shlibs
This creates the shared libraries which some programs
in this package use.
--disable-evms
This disables the building of the Enterprise Volume
Management System (EVMS) plugin. This plugin is not
up-to-date with the latest EVMS internal interfaces
and EVMS is not installed as part of a base LFS
system, so the plugin is not required. See the EVMS
website at http://evms.sourceforge.net/ for more
information regarding EVMS."
=> To be removed

- 7.2.1
"Install the shared libraries"
=> The 'make install-libs' command must be written
after this.

- 7.4.1
"If you wish to run the test suite for
Module-Init-Tools, you will need to download the
separate testsuite tarball. Issue the following
commands to perform the tests (note that the make
distclean command is required to clean up the source
tree, as the source gets recompiled as part of the
testing process):"
=> To be removed, as the testsuite has been removed.

- 7.4.1
"Prepare Module-Init-Tools for compilation"
=> Put this before the 'configure' command, and
replace it here by "Compile the package:"

- 7.5.1
"The following patches addresses build issues with GCC
4.x"
=> "The following ***patch*** addresses build issues
with GCC 4.x"

- 7.6.1
"This prevents the kill program (already installed by
Procps)"
=> Procps has not been installed yet, so clear the
parenthesis.

- 7.11.1
"Here a temporaly cross-compiled kernel will be
builded"
=> "Here a temporaly cross-compiled kernel will be
***built***"

- 7.11.1
"To ensure that your system boots and you can properly
run both 32bit and 64bit binaries, Please make sure"
=> "To ensure that your system boots and you can
properly run both ***32bits*** and ***64bits***
binaries, ***please*** make sure"

- 7.11.1
"If your keyboard isn't an US one, you may whant to
build"
=> "If your keyboard isn't an US one, you may
***want*** to build"

- 7.11.1
"cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage
${LFS}/boot/lfskernel-2.6.14.2"
=> To avoid confusion with the final kernel, couldn't
this one be named like crosslfskernel-2.6.14.2?

- 7.12.1
"Replace i386-pc with whatever directory is
appropriate for the hardware in use."
=> To be removed

- 7.12.1
"The i386-pc directory contains a number of *stage1_5
files"
=> "The ***x86_64-pc*** directory contains a number of
*stage1_5 files"

- 7.18
"The command uses 0:0 instead of root:root, because
chown is unable to resolve the name “root” until the
password file has been created. This book assumes you
ran this chown command."
=> To be removed

- 7.19
"Now your at the point to get your ${LFS} directory
copied"
=> "Now ***you're*** at the point to get your ${LFS}
directory copied"

Regards
G. Moko