10.29 perl

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Dec 5 04:19:57 PST 2005

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005, Jim Gifford wrote:

> Dennis J Perkins wrote:
>
>> Sorry for the delay,  but I have two guests from China.
>>
>> Running "perl test" runs some ping programs, and these fail if the ip
>> program has not been run to configure localnet.
>>
> Ken, Did you see any issues like this during your testing?

  Not that I noticed (my "current" tests haven't started yet, I'm looking
at the last set, but it's the same perl).  Perl doesn't mention exactly
what it is testing, except perhaps in failure messages.

  My preference is to build in chroot, and the host is networked, but
chroot doesn't have a resolv.conf at this stage.  Certainly, perl's
lib/Net/Ping/t/ directory contains a lot of pings.

   In my logs,
Ping/t/100-190 were ok (127.0.0.1, 172.29.249.249)
200-410 were skipped on this platform (same, and named hosts)
450-510 were ok (127.0.0.1).

  Perl's use of "skipped on this platform" is a general description of
"can't test this", so I suspect Dennis had enough of a new system to
fool perl into thinking he had full connectivity.  Perhaps something as
trivial as having an /etc/resolv.conf.