Problem running lazarus programs

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Dec 9 09:49:35 PST 2005

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005, Duncan Webb wrote:

> Just wish to bump this question, I think that the problem is something to do
> with the build of binutils as this gave more errors that it should have done
> during the test phase. (maybe Ken can remember).

  For Pure64, 7 errors in ld are a fact of life.  Somebody last month
suggested the testsuite is trying to use lib64 (and obviously failing).
At the moment I'm still establishing datapoints for test results from a
current toolchain, then I'll put summaries in my home directory and see
if I can fix any of the failures.

> In case anybody wants to know lazarus is a Delphi like front end to the
> freepascal compiler.

  /me shudders :-)  The errors sound like binary software.  Well, I
downloaded fpc and lazarus - lazarus has some documentation, but fpc
appears to have none,  and it all appears to be in pascal (so, you would
need a pascal compiler to bootstrap it).  I guess that somewhere it
makes an old-fashioned assumption that threading will use linuxthreads.
I think that fedora provides this for compatability with binaries, so
probably nobody else would notice.

  The ldd errors suggest it might be built for multilib (always remember
that pure64 is a recent idea, and with the exception of debian, no
distros use it).

  Possibly, gdb might help you (I say might, because I haven't got
anything useful out of it for grub, so I hesitate to say it will always
help).  Equally, strace might be informative.