Udev rules

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sun Dec 11 00:33:59 PST 2005

Jim Gifford wrote:

> Alex,
>    Could you generate a patch for us.

You need to do the following modifications to 50-udev.rules:

1) Add this rule:

ACTION=="add", MODAILAS=="?*", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe $modalias"

2) Remove this rule: device name applicable to 2.4 kernels only:

KERNEL=="evms/block_device*",   NAME="%k", GROUP="disk"

3) Explain why you use this rule:

SUBSYSTEM=="firmware", ACTION=="add", RUN+="firmware.sh"

instead of the stock firmware_helper. Words "Kay Sievers did this"
explain nothing.

4) Remove the "==" bashism from mount.sh or make it use #!/bin/bash

As for my other comments:

1) input.sh does work, I was using an old version. Its drawback is that
one cannot blacklist input modules.

2) mount.sh does nothing by default, so it is safe to leave it on by
default. But please move it to another rules file. It has nothing to do
with device naming or module loading.

Note that I tested only 50-udev.rules, not other files.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov