gcc-4.0.2 chapter 6 compilation error

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Dec 11 06:19:30 PST 2005

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005, Max Hegele wrote:

Max, you'll need to learn how to read these files!  The information of
the last failing test is always followed by configure dumping all the
variables, so the error is not at the end of the file.  In this case:

> configure:2082: gcc -o conftest -g -O2    conftest.c  >&5
> as: error while loading shared libraries: libgcc_s.so.1: cannot open
> configure:2085: $? = 1
> configure:2251: checking for suffix of object files
> configure:2272: gcc -c -g -O2   conftest.c >&5
> as: error while loading shared libraries: libgcc_s.so.1: cannot open
> configure:2275: $? = 1

So, your earlier cross-compilation failed to install a usable libgcc_s.
I've seen that in the past on multilib (specifically, the 32-bit version
was installed over the 64-bit), but I never managed to track down why
that happened.