Multilib Questions

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Dec 14 16:44:39 PST 2005

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Tushar Teredesai wrote:

> Sorry, that was a typo. I meant I am performing a native build. I will
> be using a 64bit host.

  Ouch, i686 LFS not good enough for your host ? ;)

> Perhaps it would be easier to have a pure-64 bit build and for 32 bit
> libraries and packages use a seperate prefix such as /opt/32bit or
> something?

  It certainly sounds attractive.  I was thinking about that a while ago,
but you need to build a cross-compiler to build x86 from pure64 x86_64,
so you will go some way down repeating the cross-tools and tools path,
and then install a 32-bit X.  Trouble is, there are so many different
ways to cut this cake.

  Of course, pure64 x86_64-64 cannot run 'make bootstrap' without some
further hacking (it will try to use lib64 for some of its temporary
tools), so arguably its only benefit is that it saves us passing
--libdir=/usr/lib64 to all applications.