Multilib Questions

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Dec 15 09:18:51 PST 2005

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Tushar Teredesai wrote:

> Why use a 32bit host when there is a 64bit LFS livecd:)

  Ack.  You can tell I'm not keeping up with the livecd.

> I thought the 64bit toolchain can build both 64bit and 32bit code. So
> I should be able to build 64bit code into /usr and 32bit into
> /opt/32bit.

  Yes and No!  Binutils seems to know a lot about multilib even on
Pure64.  Gcc is specifically told not to build multilib in Pure64, and
anyway you'll need a 32-bit glibc for applications.

>>   Of course, pure64 x86_64-64 cannot run 'make bootstrap' without some
>> further hacking (it will try to use lib64 for some of its temporary
>> tools), so arguably its only benefit is that it saves us passing
>> --libdir=/usr/lib64 to all applications.
>
> To make my life simple, I am planning to link the lib dirs to lib64.

  Hmm, I can't condemn that just after reinstating it for the binutils
testsuite.  It will certainly work around a number of problems.

> Of course at this step all my knowledge is theoretical. Will have to
> wait till next week to really start my practical. There was a teeny
> weeny fire in the apartment above us. So the electricity is off for a
> couple of days. Staying in an alternate apartment with no
> broadband/cable/phone:)

  Ouch!  Hope there's no damage to your apartment.