[Fwd: CLFS-SVN-20051215-PowerPC, Section 6.20]

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Dec 16 10:44:44 PST 2005

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> [...]

  Seems a fair enough point, on a regular lfs we would catch this in
'Host System Requirements' in the prologue, and probably also while
creating the temporary tools.

  I know there is a lot of mistrust of chrooting among other editors,
otherwise I'd just go ahead and alter temp-system/common/choose.xml.
How about replacing

  The rule of thumb here is if the architectures match you can use. Also
x86 to x86_64, you can not chroot, you will have to use the boot method.

  with

  The rule of thumb here is if the architectures match and you are
running a 2.6 kernel you can just chroot.  If you aren't running a 2.6
kernel, or are running a 32-bit kernel and want to run a 64-bit or
multilib system, you will have to build a new kernel.

  ?  Yes, I'm skating around this, and looking for the right words.

  This part of the book is common to all arches.  I happily chroot a
*non-modular* 64-bit kernel from 32-bit userspace to both x86_64 and
x86_64-64, but I don't want to put in something that other editors
aren't happy with.  Equally, anybody chrooting on an old host won't be
able to modprobe.

  Opinions, please.