[Fwd: CLFS-SVN-20051215-PowerPC, Section 6.20]

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Sat Dec 17 00:33:05 PST 2005

Ken Moffat wrote:

> Seems a fair enough point, on a regular lfs we would catch this in
> 'Host System Requirements' in the prologue, and probably also while
> creating the temporary tools.

Our host requirements are very diverse, I just did a build from OSx for
my x86, ryan has done it from Solaris.

>  I know there is a lot of mistrust of chrooting among other editors,
> otherwise I'd just go ahead and alter temp-system/common/choose.xml.
> How about replacing
>
>  The rule of thumb here is if the architectures match you can use.
> Also x86 to x86_64, you can not chroot, you will have to use the boot
> method.
>
>  with
>
>  The rule of thumb here is if the architectures match and you are
> running a 2.6 kernel you can just chroot.  If you aren't running a 2.6
> kernel, or are running a 32-bit kernel and want to run a 64-bit or
> multilib system, you will have to build a new kernel.

How about this

The rule of thumb here is if the architectures match and you are running
the same series kernel you can just chroot.  If you aren't running the
same kernel series, or are wanting to run a different ABI, you will need
to use the boot option.

--
------
jim at linuxfromscratch.org