/bin/sh: cannot execute binary

Justin justinwhelan at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Dec 20 07:26:51 PST 2005

Hi,

I am having a bit of difficulty and hoped for some help. I have seen the
same problem posted on your archives unfortunately the help did not fix
my problem. The problem is when I try to install perl I get the

/bin/sh: ./try: cannot execute binary

gcc -v works fine.

The only thing I can see that might have any affect is the uname -m and
-p commands both indicate 'unknown' for machine and processor. The fix
that worked for the previous problem was

CONFIG_X86_PC was changed to CONFIG_X86_64

in the kernel config.
however, my kernel config already shows the correct line.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks, Justin Whelan.