/bin/sh: cannot execute binary

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Dec 20 10:46:37 PST 2005

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Justin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having a bit of difficulty and hoped for some help.

  Fairly clearly, your cpu is x86_64, but are you building multilib or
pure64 ?  Where exactly are you in the book (first perl, or final perl
?)  Is this the latest version of the book (cross-compiled perl) ?  Did
you just chroot, or boot ?

> I have seen the same
> problem posted on your archives unfortunately the help did not fix my
> problem. The problem is when I try to install perl I get the
>
> /bin/sh: ./try: cannot execute binary
>
> gcc -v works fine.

  If you have 'file' available, what does it think of 'try' ?

  Usually, failure to execute a binary on x86_64 means your kernel
doesn't match what you are trying to do (e.g. 32-bit kernels can't run
64-bit binares, x86_64 kernels need 32-bit emulation for multilib).