/bin/sh: cannot execute binary

Justin justinwhelan at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Dec 20 11:41:41 PST 2005

Hi Ken,

Ken Moffat wrote:

>  Fairly clearly, your cpu is x86_64, but are you building multilib or
> pure64 ?  Where exactly are you in the book (first perl, or final perl
> ?)  Is this the latest version of the book (cross-compiled perl) ?
> Did you just chroot, or boot ?

the book is Version CLFS-SVN-20051215-x86_64-Multilib.

The failure occurs in section 9.6 and I am booting into the linux as my
host system is only 32bit.

>   If you have 'file' available, what does it think of 'try' ?
>
>  Usually, failure to execute a binary on x86_64 means your kernel
> doesn't match what you are trying to do (e.g. 32-bit kernels can't run
> 64-bit binares, x86_64 kernels need 32-bit emulation for multilib).
>
> Ken

it applies to any file. try just happened to be the first file it tried
to run during a configure. Even a dummy.c fails to execute binary. would
enabling IA32 emulation help, I am unsure whether it is set in the
kernel or not.

Thanks,

Justin