perl compile in section 6

Justin justinwhelan at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Dec 22 05:26:34 PST 2005

hi,

I have recently restarted this project (yesterday) and originally I was
using CLFS x86_64 20051212 book. This worked fine upto  section 10 for
me. When I restarted I used 20051220 and noticed that perl and texinfo
have moved from section 9 to section 6. When I got to these programs I
found I was unable to compile perl as when I typed in

./configure.gnu --prefix=/tools -Dstatic_ext='Data/Dumper IO Fcntl POSIX'

it used the x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc and not my /usr/bin/gcc program.
When it got to run the ./try program it says 'cannot run executable
binary' and I am assuming this is because its a 64bit file but I have
not yet booted into the new system. if i preceed the ./configure with
CC="/usr/bin/gcc" it works fine. I also noticed that /cross-tools comes
before /usr/bin in my PATH which I would assume is making the
/cross-tools compiler the one which is being called when perl is
attempting to compile.

Anyway, is it safe (or even correct) to compile with /usr/bin/gcc for
this section. Basically is it a glitch in the book or me! :)

Thanks

Justin Whelan