perl compile in section 6

Justin justinwhelan at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Dec 23 09:31:17 PST 2005

Jim Gifford wrote:

> Section 6 perl has 2 builds. Which one are you referrring to.

thanks for getting back to me. The first build of miniperl in section 6.21.1

i do the patch and then the chmod and sed commands then do

./configure.gnu --prefix=/tools -Dstatic_ext='Data/Dumper IO Fcntl POSIX'

its in here that i get

/bin/sh: ./try: cannot execute binary.

I have had this trouble before when in an older book because I failed to
enable IA32 in the kernel and I was attempting to compile within the
clfs environment. However, section 6 is before I reboot into the lfs. If
i put a CC="/usr/bin/gcc" before the command it works fine. As i
mentioned in a previous post I just wondered if it was a mistake in the
book as I know the perl build was only recently moved from section 9
(which is within the new lfs) to section 6.

Thanks

Justin