Emacs (was Re: About AMD64 support...)

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Dec 27 11:21:58 PST 2005

[Taking this part to clfs where other people might find it useful.
Please drop lfs-dev from any replies]

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005, Dennis J Perkins wrote:

> Most of the BLFS packages that I have built so far compile fine.  Emacs
> says it doesn't recognize the architecture.

  Head to your favourite gentoo mirror (google for gentoo portage if you
don't have one bookmarked) and go to app-editors/emacs.  Check the
21.4r1 ebuild and you will see that it runs on amd64 but has a special
amd64 patch.

  Grab the patch from the files subdirectory, and you should be good to
go on multilib.

  For Pure64, you will need to *remove* the last part of the patch which
affects src/s/gnu-linux.h - for some reason, emacs needs to know where
crt{1,i,n}.o are found - gentoo put them in lib64.

  Maybe not quite a walk in the park, but a nice easy stroll compared to
a lot of exotic packages.  Anybody building on x86_64, and to a lesser
extent on x86_64-64, really needs to become familiar with the resources
available from gentoo, and occasionally from fedora SRPMS (build cpio,
grab an rpm2cpio script, curse the cpio format and command switches ;).

Goodwill to all,

a vim user :)