Glibc problems

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Dec 27 17:07:09 PST 2005

  I started testing a 20051219 version of the x86 (for i686) book last
week, but didn't get very far (crapped out in the glibc headers).  At
that time I thought it might be a problem with the host system (powermac
G5, pretending to be ppc32), or perhaps with my scripts.

  Today I came back to this, checked the scripts, couldn't see anything
wrong.  Gave it another go from x86_64-64 (my desktop machine, versions
generally as in LFS-6.1), and again the glibc-20051107 headers fail to
configure with

checking whether __attribute__((visibility())) is supported... yes
checking for broken __attribute__((visibility()))... no
checking for broken __attribute__((alias()))... no
checking whether to put _rtld_local into .sdata section... no
checking for .preinit_array/.init_array/.fini_array support... no
configure: error: Need linker with .init_array/.fini_array support.

  As an experiment, I threw that build away, and started again with
glibc-20051024 - this time, it sailed through to the end of the
cross-tools.

  From x86_64-64, my build is controlled by

export LFS_HOST=x86_64-cross-linux-gnu

export LFS_TARGET=i686-pc-linux-gnu

  So, unless somebody can point me to an error in these variables, some
questions -

1. anybody built clfs for x86 with the 20051107 version of glibc ?

2. If so, what LFS_HOST and LFS_TARGET did you use ?

3. Am I right in thinking that 20051107 is *necessary* for another
    architecture ?

TIA