Gnome

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Dec 28 10:45:49 PST 2005

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, Dennis J Perkins wrote:

> That did not help either.  Here is what I see when it fails.
>
> mkdir .libs
> grep: /usr/lib/libexpat.la: No such file or directory.
> /bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib/libexpat.la:  No such file or directory
> libtool: link: `\usr/lib/libexpat.la' is not a valid libtool archive.
> make[4]: *** [libdom.la] Error 1

  Ah.  I've seen somewhat related problems (default to lib64 to find
32-bit la files) when actually building libraries multilib (that is, as
both 32 and 64).

  First question - have you installed a 32-bit version of a library after
the 64-bit version ?  I'm thinking particularly of freetype-config [ I
move my 32-bit version to freetype-config-32 and pass
--with-freetype-config=wherever (e.g. for fontconfig).

  Ryan's cross-lfs scripts use varieties of wrapping, e.g. a script to
decide if your environment is set for 32 or 64, and call the correct
version of the program - you then symlink this wrapper as e.g.
freetype-config.  You still have to determine which programs need this
special action, and rename them before they are overwritten.

  So far, I'm aware of freetype-config, pkg-config, pango-querymodules
(32-bit pango is very messy in multilib, I haven't fully tamed it).

  Second question - are all your 32-bit libraries in lib, and all the
64-bit in lib64 ?  If you aren't sure, run 'file' on something from each
blfs package to confirm it is as you expected.

  Third question - is PKG_CONFIG_PATH set correctly for 64-bit packages
(e.g. PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R6/lib64/pkgconfig) ?