chapter "7.9 creating_directories" too late

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Dec 31 18:55:28 PST 2005

,On Sat, 31 Dec 2005, Chris Staub wrote:

> Frans Verstegen wrote:
>> This makes the "ln -s share/{man,doc,info} ${LFS}/usr" from "7.9
>> Creating Directories" fail

  Yep, certainly does.  I had my first attempt at "if you are going to
boot" on Friday, and assumed the problems were from my usual lack of
concentration when I wrote my scripts, so thanks to Frans for confirming
that.

>> In the non-cross LFS book the directory structure is created very
>> early, ie. before the final packages are installed.
>> Should we also create the directory structure earlier, ie. first thing
>> in chapter 7 ?
>>
>> Frans
>
> I was just about to recommend moving "Creating Directories" to the beginning
> of Chapter 7 myself, but I never though about that issue. My problem is that,
> with the way the CLFS instructions are now, you will end up with a $LFS root
> dir owned by the LFS user if you use the chroot method,

  Good catch, I saw that Friday (playing with farce changes, trying to
test that a change would fail, unexpected success when I let my lfs user
create a /results directory , but never investigated).

> since there is a
> "chown lfs $LFS" command near the beginning of the book and you're never told
> to run chown root $LFS to change it back if you chroot. I was thinking that
> the chown lfs $LFS command should be moved to the beginning of Chapter 7 -
> placed at the top of the "Creating Directories" section and moving Creating
> Directories to the beginning of the chapter.

  That I'm not sure about - surely lfs needs to own $LFS in chapter 5 so
that (s)he can actually write to it ?  In my current festive state, I
think the important thing is probably to run 'chown -R 0:0 /' after
chrooting (for those like me who are wimps and want to chroot instead of
boot) ?

  Also, even if you boot, should we not 'chown -R 0:0 /' for the final
system ?  That would mean we run chown however we got to the final
system.

  However, I doubt I will be editing any of this today, so feel free to
do it differently ;)