clarifying /tools versus /cross-tools

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Nov 1 09:50:32 PST 2005

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>  before i get into this too deeply, i want to clarify one important
> point.  as i read it, /cross-tools is the eventual destination for the
> entire cross-compiling toolchain, including *all* supporting binaries,
> libraries and so on.  effectively, it's a standalone cross-compiling
> environment.

  Yes, but *all* it can do is cross-compile.

>  /tools, on the other hand, is simply a temporary location for stuff
> during the construction of that toolchain.  once the construction is
> over, the /tools directory is unnecessary and can be deleted, right?
>
> rday

  Wrong, badly ;)  /tools is what we use the cross-compiler to build -
it's natve binaries for the target, much like chapter 5 of conventional
LFS.  Because it is cross-compiled, we can't run the testsuites, and a
few awkward things (perl, tcl, etc) have been moved to later ('temporary
tools').  You probably got misled by the headers being installed into
/tools.

  When you start to build those temporary tools, /tools is where
_everything_ you can access is located, either because you copied it to
the new machine, or because you put it on your path and chrooted.

  At that point, /cross-tools is expendable.