grub-0.97 compile issues

Stan Sander ssande at sandia.gov
Tue Nov 1 13:24:14 PST 2005

Ken Moffat wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Stan Sander wrote:
>
>> Basically I have been unable to get the configure for grub-0.97 to
>> run successfully.  I have hit two issues so far and want to make sure
>> I'm not shooting myself in the foot.  Both of these have seemed
>> rather easy to fix, but I'd appreciate your opinions to make sure I'm
>> not setting myself up for more trouble ahead.   Here is the first
>> problem:
>>

>  You are building x86_64-64 (pure64) ?  From the overall index.html
> page where you select your architecture: "This is experimental.
> Bootloaders do not work."

>  The problem here is the non-working objcopy, which is caused by not
> having the 32-bit objects for it to link to.  Pretending that you do
> have an acceptable objcopy is unlikely to get you to a bootable
> system. FWIW, you should have a perfectly good cmp installed in
> section 6.10, and indeed the cmp on your 32-bit host system is almost
> certainly good enough.
>
> Ken

No, I'm not TRYING to build a pure64.  I must have taken a wrong turn
somewhere.  What I was trying for was 32 and 64 bit, which I thought was
x86_64-pc.

siren /cross-tools/bin >file x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-objcopy
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-objcopy: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386,
version 1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

/tools/bin >file cmp
cmp: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, version 1, dynamically linked (uses
shared libs), not stripped

siren /lfs/sources/grub-0.97 >echo $LFS_HOST
i686-pc-linux-gnu
siren /lfs/sources/grub-0.97 >echo $LFS_TARGET
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

So, my $LFS_TARGET is obviously wrong for what I want to do.  What
should I set it to?

--
Stan Sander - CSU Special Projects  (505)284-4915
ASAP, LLC, Contractor assigned to Sandia National Laboratories

Microsoft: You've got questions. We've got a dancing paperclip.