Preventing Cross-LFS from Going to Stable

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Wed Nov 2 14:06:04 PST 2005

I have been asked why Cross-LFS hasn't gone stable yet. Here is a the
list of what remains.

Inetutils 1.4.2
    ftp and ping fail on the Sparc Architecture. This will be fixed with
the upcoming release of inetutils 1.5.

Kernel
    Want to move to the 2.6.14 kernel, need to test on MIPS, MIPS64, and
PPC builds. 2.6.12.6 works on
     all architectures, that's why it's in the book. 2.6.13 had issues
with Sparc and MIPS.

Udev/Hotplug
    Need to test the hotplug udev changes to make sure they work on all
architectures.

Bootscripts
    Debating on maintaining cross-lfs specific bootscripts, this is due
to some the changes needed on non-x86 architectures

The book itself
    Need to go through and validate each page for configuration options
and text. Community help is welcomed here.

Bootloaders
    We also still have the ongoing battle with the bootloaders. We are
currently working with Grub 2 folks on x86_64 and Sparc. We also need to
get another MIPS bootloader into the book. Any volunteer's. This is a
showstopper, but we can release the book without the pure builds, this
one is going to take a long time to resolv.

--
------
jim at linuxfromscratch.org
lfs at jg555.com