Preventing Cross-LFS from Going to Stable

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Nov 3 15:17:53 PST 2005

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, Jim Gifford wrote:

> I have been asked why Cross-LFS hasn't gone stable yet. Here is a the list of
> what remains.

> Bootloaders

  I seem to have a further difficulty in the bootloader area - I've at
last got a yaboot.conf that I think *might* work (separate /boot
partition shared across linux systems), so I went to run ybin from
Cross-LFS, and wasn't entirely surprised to find it failed because
'nvsetenv' is missing. (Previously, I've run ybin from debian in a
chroot, using debian's /boot directory to hold all the kernels)

  Last time I looked, nvsetenv came from powerpc-utils at my local debian
mirror.  Or, am I missing something ?  I think most of this package is
obsolete (the laptop-control things now mostly get done by pbbuttonsd
which is beyond cross-lfs).

  I know Jeremy has produced a ppc LiveCD - is there some way of either
bypassing the need for nvsetenv, or getting it from a different package
?

  There was also a warning that hfsutils is not installed or cannot be
found.  Looking at ybin, it is apparently _possible_ to do without this
using a dos or raw partition for the bootstrap, but it looks as if you
then have to mess with the OF (OpenFirmware) to be able to boot it.
(/me starts screaming at the thought of having to touch OF after every
kernel upgrade.)

  So, should I add these two packages for ppc ?

  Changing the subject slightly, should we be putting at least the things
blocking a stable release into BZ ?