Preventing Cross-LFS from Going to Stable

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 4 09:27:10 PST 2005

Ken Moffat wrote:
>  I know Jeremy has produced a ppc LiveCD - is there some way of either
> bypassing the need for nvsetenv, or getting it from a different package ?

Oddly enough, the CD is a much easier route with yaboot than installing
for a hd. All you need to do is use the correct .b files and the pass
the right options to mkisofs (make sure you Bless the boot directory!
whatever that means...).

Gentoo actually has some pretty good documentation on how to get yaboot
working, IIRC.

>  There was also a warning that hfsutils is not installed or cannot be
> found.  Looking at ybin, it is apparently _possible_ to do without this
> using a dos or raw partition for the bootstrap, but it looks as if you
> then have to mess with the OF (OpenFirmware) to be able to boot it. (/me
> starts screaming at the thought of having to touch OF after every kernel
> upgrade.)
>
>  So, should I add these two packages for ppc ?

Yes please. :)

Also, should we look at trying to support oldworld macs? If so that
would require a different bootloader.

--
JH