Preventing Cross-LFS from Going to Stable

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 4 10:01:01 PST 2005

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> Ken Moffat wrote:
>>  I know Jeremy has produced a ppc LiveCD - is there some way of either
>> bypassing the need for nvsetenv, or getting it from a different package ?
>
> Oddly enough, the CD is a much easier route with yaboot than installing for a
> hd. All you need to do is use the correct .b files and the pass the right
> options to mkisofs (make sure you Bless the boot directory! whatever that
> means...).

  I used to think I knew - until I needed to boot from a CD after messing
up yaboot.conf, and suddenly my machine wouldn't boot from that CD!

> Gentoo actually has some pretty good documentation on how to get yaboot
> working, IIRC.

  OK, I'll google for that.

>>  There was also a warning that hfsutils is not installed or cannot be
>> found.  Looking at ybin, it is apparently _possible_ to do without this
>> using a dos or raw partition for the bootstrap, but it looks as if you then
>> have to mess with the OF (OpenFirmware) to be able to boot it. (/me starts
>> screaming at the thought of having to touch OF after every kernel upgrade.)
>>
>>  So, should I add these two packages for ppc ?
>
> Yes please. :)

  OK, I'll do that, at least for the final system.  I'm still not sure
how to handle "if you are going to boot" - maybe a non-ppc host can
write a blessed CD, I've not looked at that.

> Also, should we look at trying to support oldworld macs? If so that would
> require a different bootloader.

  I don't have the hardware, so I won't comment.

  Thanks for your guidance.