Time to update to Glibc 2.3.6 ?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 4 17:47:36 PST 2005

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, William Zhou wrote:

> Glad to head the release of glibc 2.3.6.
>
> CLFS has been using glibc cvs for a long time.
> So should we stick to 2.3.6 for a while before
> anything fancy version comes out?
>
> This not only saves us time on watching on newer
> version, but also provides a stable cornerstone
> for our CLFS builds.
>
> IMO, CLFS should focus on the way it builds the
> system instead of spending time on updating new
> packages.

  The big question is: how does 2.3.6 compare on *all* of the
architectures that we support ?  Big things like "does it cross-build",
but also the (perhaps less important) things like "are the test results
better, or worse, or the same ?".

  I hate tracking glibc CVS more than most people here, but we can't
drop everything for a new glibc until people have tested it.  Speaking
personally, I'm unlikely to be able to test it for several days, or
weeks, I'm still slogging slowly through a multilib desktop.