Preventing Cross-LFS from Going to Stable

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Nov 5 13:01:35 PST 2005

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Ken Moffat wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
>
>> Ken Moffat wrote:
>>>  So, should I add these two packages for ppc ?
>>
>> Yes please. :)
>>

> OK, I'll do that, at least for the final system.  I'm still not sure how to
> handle "if you are going to boot" - maybe a non-ppc host can write a blessed
> CD, I've not looked at that.

  Done.  There is now an example yaboot.conf in ppc's 'Making the LFS
System Bootable'.  Probably buggy, make sure you have a rescue CD before
trying it :-(

  For the moment, I've linked to debian's current powerpc-utils patch,
which is bigger than the original package.  If I get time next week
I'll look at stripping it down, removing the bogus warning about the
headers, and perhaps transcribing the sgml manpage for nvsetenv.  Of
course, if we ever start to support OldWorld, probably a lot more of the
package will be relevant.

  I was thinking about "if you are going to boot", but it seems to me
that you need to be on the mac to partition it (for the bootstrap) and
to run ybin - possibly, any host can create a blessed CD to boot from,
but we already have the LiveCD.  No doubt anybody building from OSX will
need to boot, so I'll leave that issue for the people it affects.