Proposal: x86_64 pure 64 bit bootloader

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Nov 7 14:36:10 PST 2005

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Joe Ciccone wrote:

> This goes against any standard I have set for LFS so far but it gets us
> one step closer to being stable. I want to propose using grub-static for
> x86_64 pure builds. I am sure someone will say but the purpose of LFS is
> to compile every package from source. It is against my *religion* to use
> binary packages but this seems like the best option until somebody comes
> up with a way to cross-compile grub properly. I have been unsuccessful
> in all previous attempts. I will provide the package if needed.
>
> I am asking for some feedback on this idea. As I said, it seems like the
> most logical decision right now.
>
> -Joe

  As has been documented, in the eternal bootloader religious wars, I'm
on the side of lilo.  But, the LFS community came down in favour of grub
on x86 and I respect that choice.  Somehow, I doubt the choice would
have even been discussed if it was between a bootloader you could
compile, and a binary, which is what is now being suggested for
x86_64-64.