Crosscompiling from 32bits to 64bits on AMD64

go moko gomoko at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 9 06:07:39 PST 2005

Hello

Please excuse my poor english...

I've an AMD64 processor with a LFS 32bits system
installed on it. I try to crosscompile on this machine
to 64bits bi-arch. All works fine with the book, until
I reach the choice between chroot and reboot.
The chroot option seems unavailable in my case,
because the new binaries compiled in /tools are in
64bits, but the kernel is still in 32bits, and I get
messages like 'cannot execute binary files' on
/tools/bin/env and /tools/bin/bash. So I guess it's
not a valid solution. I will try the reboot solution
in overwriting the existing binaries and libraries on
32bits by the 64bits, but I fear it's not very clean.

Can you confirm that the first solution of chroot is
unusable by any means? And if it's right, wouldn't it
be a good thing to explain this in the section "To
chroot or to boot?" of the book?

Thanks by advance for your responses
G. Moko