Cross-compile from 32bits to 64bits for AMD64

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 06:21:24 PST 2005

On 11/9/05, go moko <gomoko at yahoo.com> wrote:
> It seems that a chroot is not possible because the new
> compiled binaries in /tools are in 64bits, and as the
> kernel is still in 32bits, I've a "cannot execute
> binary files" on /tools/bin/env and /tools/bin/bash.
> So I guess I'm forced to try the reboot, but this
> means overwriting the 32bits binaries and libraries on
> my LFS system before rebooting.
>
> Can you confirm that I'm right, or is there any mean
> to use the chroot in this configuration?

No, I think you're a bit confused.  In either case, you should be
writing to a separate hard drive partition (Ch. 2).  Then when you
reboot, you'll just point to the new partition as the root directory.
Only $HOME/cross-tools should be on the 32 bit system (or separate
mount point for /home).  Doing the chroot only saves you from the
hassle of being in a system without X, web browser, etc if you reboot.
 In both cases you're writing to the same partition.

--
Dan