how to build NPTL-based toolchain?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 9 15:31:05 PST 2005

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> sorry, are those the architectures that do *not* support NPTL?  i'm
> trying to build for SH3.  maybe it just flat out can't be done yet.

  Well, googling for 'SH3 nptl' found you at the top of the list, and
also found some links to binary rpms, plus a message from May 2004 about
somebody using nptl on a Jornada 680 SH3.  So, looks as if it can be
done.

  CLFS moved to the snapshots because of cross-compiling issues, and then
found that nptl was more widely available (perhaps, the 2.3 maintainer
doesn't see nptl on all architectures as a priority).  So, I suggest you
try the snapshot, and also look closely at the cross toolchain part of
all of the architectures in CLFS to see what sort of arch-specific
oddities might be necessary.

  I'm sure some of the people here may be able to offer advice, even if
they don't have experience of embedded platforms.

  If you can find SRPMS for the SH toolchain (from somewhere that has
nptl-dev or whatever) they might have something useful (patches, or odd
configure switches) [ grab an rpm2cpio script, use that to create a cpio
archive, then use cpio to find what it contains, remembering that cpio
archives usually extract into the current directory ]