CLFS for a AMD ELAN SC520 target

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 06:56:21 PST 2005

On 11/11/05, Felix Brack <fb at ltec.ch> wrote:
> If this is correct, could it be an indication to use a "lower" target triplet
> then I did? Is there some triplet like  "i386-pc-linux-gnu" or perhaps
> better  "i486-pc-linux-gnu" that would eventually produce correct code?

Sure, to be safe you could try either of those.  I've never heard of
an elan before, so I can't offer any pointers on what it's actually
compatible to.  Anyway, here a way to find out about target-triplets.
Open a random autotooled package (gcc-4.x is recent if you don't mind
waiting to unpack it).  There are two files at the top level that deal
with figuring out the target triplet: config.guess and config.sub.
They're just shell scripts.  Run config.guess and it will spit out the
triplet for the running system.  You could use that info to fill in
LFS_HOST.

config.sub takes a basic target and returns a valid triplet.  For instance:
$ ./config.sub i386-linux
i386-pc-linux-gnu
$ ./config.sub pentium3-linux
i686-pc-linux-gnu

If you cruise through this file, you'll find some interesting
information about i586+.  A couple of old architectures are specified
as i386 and i486, too.
    pentium | p5 | k5 | k6 | nexgen | viac3)
        basic_machine=i586-pc
        ;;
    pentiumpro | p6 | 6x86 | athlon | athlon_*)
        basic_machine=i686-pc
        ;;
    pentiumii | pentium2 | pentiumiii | pentium3)
        basic_machine=i686-pc
        ;;
    pentium4)
        basic_machine=i786-pc

Hope this helps a bit.  If it was me, I would set it as a 386 until I
had a working system and could debug it a little more.  But, again, I
don't even know what an ELAN is compatible to.

--
Dan