glib2 problems on amd64

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 11 12:45:29 PST 2005

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Bernd Knorr wrote:

> I tried precompiled glib and different versions but nothing helped.
> I had the same problem with a CLFS build about two weeks ago.
> On my old CLFS-system, which I built using ryan's scripts the problem didn't
> occur.
> So I think it might have something to do with the different glibc/gcc versions
> on my old system (glibc-2.3.5 and gcc-3.4.3).
>
> I'd like to know if anybody has the same problem.
> Could it have sth to do with the boot or chroot question (I chrooted) ?

  My guess is glibc, mainly because it throws spanners into the works
when you least expect it :)  Did you run make check on glibc when you
built it?  I really don't see how booting or chrooting will cause you to
create different code in the final system, because in either case you
use the same tools.  Different kernel versions can sometimes upset the
testsuites, particularly for glibc, but that isn't directly attributable
to 'boot or chroot'.

  My own multilib is now officially *old* (started 20051017 with a newer
glibc than was then in the book) and I think we've upgraded glibc since
then. I'm also probably using older package versions (gnome-2.10 era).
I'm intermittently struggling through blfs, but with the aim of building
a 32-bit firefox.  I've now got past glib2 : had to specify --build and
--host for -m32, but the 64-bit version gave me no problems at all.
Before that, I used the 20050930 book to build x86_64-64 and had no
problems with glib2 or firefox.