Booting into x86_64

jstipins at umich.edu jstipins at umich.edu
Wed Nov 16 11:23:44 PST 2005

Hi there,

I'm a newbie to this list, so I apologize if this is all old news.

I have a (working) 32-bit LFS installation, that uses GRUB 0.97 to boot.
On another partition, I just built a minimal 64-bit installation with the
2.6.12.6 kernel, following the development CLFS instructions.

Since GRUB is already installed and working on the 32-bit LFS partition,
I thought I would just add an entry to the menu.lst file and see what
happened.  As it turns out, the boot loader seemed to work fine... it found
the 64-bit kernel image, and began to load the kernel.  The messages went
by very quickly, but they were the normal device-recognition messages.

Then somewhere around the point where the kernel was starting the SCSI devices,
the screen printed a register dump and gave a "kernel panic - not syncing"
message.  I realize this is a very vague question, but does anyone have any
guesses what's going on?  Given that I'm using the previous GRUB installation,
is there any reason why I shouldn't be able to boot the x86_64 installation?

(Additional info: the new installation is on /dev/sda5.  The extended partition
shouldn't cause a problem, should it?)

Thanks very much,
-Janis