Booting into x86_64

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 16 13:45:41 PST 2005

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, jstipins at umich.edu wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm a newbie to this list, so I apologize if this is all old news.
>
> I have a (working) 32-bit LFS installation, that uses GRUB 0.97 to boot.
> On another partition, I just built a minimal 64-bit installation with the
> 2.6.12.6 kernel, following the development CLFS instructions.
>
> Since GRUB is already installed and working on the 32-bit LFS partition,
> I thought I would just add an entry to the menu.lst file and see what
> happened.  As it turns out, the boot loader seemed to work fine... it found
> the 64-bit kernel image, and began to load the kernel.  The messages went
> by very quickly, but they were the normal device-recognition messages.

  At that point, grub has completed its task.

> Then somewhere around the point where the kernel was starting the SCSI devices,
> the screen printed a register dump and gave a "kernel panic - not syncing"
> message.  I realize this is a very vague question, but does anyone have any
> guesses what's going on?  Given that I'm using the previous GRUB installation,
> is there any reason why I shouldn't be able to boot the x86_64 installation?

  The register dump is the spooky part.  Normally, I'd suggest you forgot
to compile something you needed (e.g. a flavour of SATA or scsi support
- I assume an x86_64 is probably using SATA), which might cause the
kernel to fail to find the root filesystem and /sbin/init.  Or,
alternatively, a bad root= in menu.lst.

  Whenever I've had a kernel that failed to find init, the messages
remained visible for about 3 minutes - are you able to get anything more
from what is on the screen ?  I don't know if PageUp will work so early
in the boot.

> (Additional info: the new installation is on /dev/sda5.  The extended partition
> shouldn't cause a problem, should it?)

  No problem whatsoever.

> Thanks very much,
> -Janis

  Just like vanilla LFS, I'm guessing there is something unfortunate in
your .config.  This is probably your first attempt to run x86_64, and
therefore you are now ready to build chapter 9 (tcl and so forth) ?
(If you'd already finished the system, you could revert to the 64-bit
.config you used when you were building it)

   Are you following the 'boot' or 'chroot' option ?  If you boot, you
should point the init= to wherever you installed the /tools files.  If
you chroot, you should point init= to the (32-bit) system containing
/sbin/init (and also make sure the kernel can emulate 32-bit in the
.config).