Booting into x86_64

go moko gomoko at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 16 23:32:09 PST 2005

--- Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, jstipins at umich.edu wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I'm a newbie to this list, so I apologize if this
> is all old news.
> >
> > I have a (working) 32-bit LFS installation, that
> uses GRUB 0.97 to boot.
> > On another partition, I just built a minimal
> 64-bit installation with the
> > 2.6.12.6 kernel, following the development CLFS
> instructions.
> >
> > Since GRUB is already installed and working on the
> 32-bit LFS partition,
> > I thought I would just add an entry to the
> menu.lst file and see what
> > happened.  As it turns out, the boot loader seemed
> to work fine... it found
> > the 64-bit kernel image, and began to load the
> kernel.  The messages went
> > by very quickly, but they were the normal
> device-recognition messages.
> >
>   At that point, grub has completed its task.
>
> > Then somewhere around the point where the kernel
> was starting the SCSI devices,
> > the screen printed a register dump and gave a
> "kernel panic - not syncing"
> > message.  I realize this is a very vague question,
> but does anyone have any
> > guesses what's going on?  Given that I'm using the
> previous GRUB installation,
> > is there any reason why I shouldn't be able to
> boot the x86_64 installation?
> >

>   The register dump is the spooky part.  Normally,
> I'd suggest you forgot
> to compile something you needed (e.g. a flavour of
> SATA or scsi support
> - I assume an x86_64 is probably using SATA), which
> might cause the
> kernel to fail to find the root filesystem and
> /sbin/init.  Or,
> alternatively, a bad root= in menu.lst.

Just before the "kernel panic" message, you should
have some lines that indicates an other error, like a
device that cannot be found. Can you give the last
lines of the booting messages (yeah, you must copy
them at hand, because print screen isn't working!).

>   Whenever I've had a kernel that failed to find
> init, the messages
> remained visible for about 3 minutes - are you able
> to get anything more
> from what is on the screen ?  I don't know if PageUp
> will work so early
> in the boot.
>
> > (Additional info: the new installation is on
> /dev/sda5.  The extended partition
> > shouldn't cause a problem, should it?)
> >

>   No problem whatsoever.

It seems to me that if your disk is too big, grub
cannot boot after some position (but I don't remind
the limit). What is the position of the partition sda5
on the disk?

> > Thanks very much,
> > -Janis
> >

>   Just like vanilla LFS, I'm guessing there is
> something unfortunate in
> your .config.  This is probably your first attempt
> to run x86_64, and
> therefore you are now ready to build chapter 9 (tcl
> and so forth) ?
> (If you'd already finished the system, you could
> revert to the 64-bit
> .config you used when you were building it)
>
>    Are you following the 'boot' or 'chroot' option ?
>  If you boot, you
> should point the init= to wherever you installed the
> /tools files.  If
> you chroot, you should point init= to the (32-bit)
> system containing
> /sbin/init (and also make sure the kernel can
> emulate 32-bit in the
> .config).

Regards
G. Moko