Questions on bzip2

go moko gomoko at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 19 12:53:16 PST 2005

--- Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

>   If you are ready to build it, you could back-up
> what you've done so
> far, follow the book's instructions for 32 and 64,
> confirm what got
> installed, rip it out so that you are back to before
> any of it was
> installed, then try any different instructions of
> your choice!  If they
> work, come back and tell us what instructions you
> use, and why they are
> better than what's in the book at the moment.

Ok, I've done the job. Here are the commands I used to
get a system equivalent to the book's one:

For 32bits:
all commands before 'make install'
no 'make install', because it's only installing
libbz2.a in /usr/lib
replace it by 'cp libbz2.a /usr/lib'
from the last bloc of commands, do only 'cp -a
libbz2.so* /lib' and the 'ln -s ...' just after.
The result is that only the bzip2's libraries are
installed, which is what we wanted.

For 64bits:
all commands 'make', 'make clean', 'make'
no 'rm -f /usr/bin/bz* /bin/bz*', as I don't install
it
do 'make install'
'mv /usr/bin/bzip2 /bin': this is the installation of
bzip2; one can also use bzip2-shared, but I put this
according to the README of Bzip2 (see my post on
lfs-dev)
do 'cp' and 'ln' on libbz2.so*
'rm /usr/bin/{bunzip2,bzcat}'
'ln -s bzip2 /bin/bzcat'
'ln -s bzip2 /bin/bunzip2'

And finally, the system is in the same state as the
book's one.

If someone can test it, it can be a good solution for
the book, IMHO.

Please excuse me and ask if I'm not clear; I'm not
very friendly with english.
G. Moko