CLFS 7.5: Inetutils-1.4.2 Build error?

Puvvada, Vijay B. VIJAY.B.PUVVADA at saic.com
Sun Nov 20 16:35:02 PST 2005

Hello All,

I am trying to build a linux-from-scratch for a Cerf-Cube 405EP that I
have lying around so that I can learn how to build a full distribution.

My host environment is a Redhat Fedora Core 4 distribution on a dell
laptop (x86) and my target is the cerfcube 405ep (ppc).  As such, I'm
not using the live cd.

I am following the online version of the CLFS book and so
far I have successfully built the cross-tools and temporary tools.

I started down chapter 7 (If you're going to boot) and I came to a problem
when I tried to build inetutils.

After patching and so forth, I issued the following configure command..

./configure --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/sbin \
    --host=${LFS_TARGET} --sysconfdir=/etc --disable-logger \
    --disable-syslogd --disable-whois --disable-servers

It seemed to work.

When I tried to do the make, it's trying to use headers, etc. from my host
setup rather than the actual target setup.

Here is a small excerpt of the errors...
/usr/include/ncurses/curses.h:1211: error: syntax error before 'trace'
/usr/include/ncurses/curses.h:1211: warning: data definition has no type or
storage class
ctl.c: In function 'open_sockt':
ctl.c:89: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 3 of 'getsockname'
differ in signedness
ctl.c: In function 'open_ctl':
ctl.c:109: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 3 of 'getsockname'
differ in signedness
make[2]: *** [ctl.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/lfs/tmp/inetutils-1.4.2/talk'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/lfs/tmp/inetutils-1.4.2'

My current environment looks like this:

lfs:~/tmp/inetutils-1.4.2$ env
AS=powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu-as
AR=powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu-ar
TERM=xterm
LC_ALL=POSIX
S=/data/lfs_sources
LFS=/lfs
LFS_HOST=i386-redhat-linux-gnu
PATH=/cross-tools/bin:/bin:/usr/bin
LD=powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu-ld
PWD=/home/lfs/tmp/inetutils-1.4.2
STRIP=powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu-strip
LFS_TARGET=powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
PS1=\u:\w\$
CXX=powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu-g++
SHLVL=1
HOME=/home/lfs
RANLIB=powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu-ranlib
CC=powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc
_=/bin/env
OLDPWD=/home/lfs/tmp

It almost seems like I would need to tell the make system to change its
include path etc.
Is it possible I might have missed something in terms of environment?

Vij

--
Vijay Puvvada
Software Engineer