CLFS 7.5: Inetutils-1.4.2 Build error?

Ryan Oliver ryan.oliver at pha.com.au
Sun Nov 20 20:52:53 PST 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 19:35 -0500, Puvvada, Vijay B. wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am trying to build a linux-from-scratch for a Cerf-Cube 405EP that I
> have lying around so that I can learn how to build a full distribution.
>
> My host environment is a Redhat Fedora Core 4 distribution on a dell
> laptop (x86) and my target is the cerfcube 405ep (ppc).  As such, I'm
> not using the live cd.
>
> I am following the online version of the CLFS book and so
> far I have successfully built the cross-tools and temporary tools.
>
> I started down chapter 7 (If you're going to boot) and I came to a problem
> when I tried to build inetutils.
>
> After patching and so forth, I issued the following configure command..
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/sbin \
>     --host=${LFS_TARGET} --sysconfdir=/etc --disable-logger \
>     --disable-syslogd --disable-whois --disable-servers
>
> It seemed to work.
>
> When I tried to do the make, it's trying to use headers, etc. from my host
> setup rather than the actual target setup.
>
> Here is a small excerpt of the errors...
> /usr/include/ncurses/curses.h:1211: error: syntax error before 'trace'
> /usr/include/ncurses/curses.h:1211: warning: data definition has no type or
> storage class

This should not happen, we restrict cpp's include search paths when
building the cross-gcc in section 5.8.1 with the following commands

--------------8<-------------------------
Now we will change gcc's search path to look into /tools only:

cp gcc/Makefile.in{,.orig}
sed "s@\(^CROSS_SYSTEM_HEADER_DIR =\).*@\1 /tools/include at g" \
 gcc/Makefile.in.orig > gcc/Makefile.in
--------------8<-------------------------

> It almost seems like I would need to tell the make system to change its
> include path etc.
> Is it possible I might have missed something in terms of environment?

Possible you may have missed the above step when building the
cross-compiler...

Could you compile a dummy program with the cross compiler,
(eg: ppc-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc -v foo.c ) and paste the output into a
mail

The section we want is

#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here: