[BCLFS] multilib pango (32-bit)

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 23 09:42:29 PST 2005

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Ryan Oliver wrote:

>>   I'm out of ideas.  Has anybody built pango (32-bit) on a recent
>> multilib ?  If so, which version, and what needed to be done
>> differently ?
>>

> Built pango 1.8.1 multilib a while back
>
> First issue is gonna be all the foo-config files under /usr/bin.
>
> Unless you kept both 32bit and 64bit versions of these files around
> (such as freetype-config, glib-config ) you have all manner of fun as
> these files are generally run by configure to determine cflags, ldflags
> to set.
> I generally keep both versions of all *-config files and use a wrapper
> to select the correct one.

  I'm warming to your use of a wrapper, although I think only pkg-config
is affected in what I've built so far (no glib1 in this build).  I'm
referencing the 32-bit pkg-config version by sedding configure, but I
suspect that _most_ invocations will get the same results for either
version, provided I keep the 32 and 64 versions in-sync with each other.

[ Just re-read what you wrote while proofreading, retried my
freetype-config-32, but the fontconfig, freetype, expat 64-bit libs are
still pulled in unless I override them, so I'll stick with the
workarounds I had ]

> As for libtool silliness in pulling in the wrong .la file, I generally
> only see that happening when building 64bit when I have 32bit libs
> around.
>
> Easiest way to avoid that issue is to pass LDFLAGS="-L/lib
> -L/usr/lib" ( or -L/lib64 -L/usr/lib64 for 64bit) during configure so
> libtool processes those directories for .la files first.
> Note however I did not find the above LDFLAGS necessary for pango...
>
> HTH some

  Thanks, it helped enormously.  Still had some more fiddling to do, and
a few more blind/redundant alleys to traverse, but the 32-bit pango is
now built, and passes its testsuite.

  I expect there is some basic environmental difference between our
systems, because the 64-bit pango was a walk in the park (after I'd
moved /usr/bin/pango-querymodules to a -32 name, just in case).

> Best Regards
> Ryan

  Cheers