Grub 0.97 in final installation

go moko gomoko at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 24 00:53:01 PST 2005

--- Jim Gifford <lfs at jg555.com> wrote:

> go moko wrote:
>
> >--- Jim Gifford <lfs at jg555.com> wrote:
> >

> >Yes, I can. I used Ken's suggestion, which is to
> use a
> >64bits kernel in the i686 system and to chroot from
> >it. The result, if only the kernel is in 64bits, is
> >target 'x86_64-unknown' instead of 'x86_64-pc'. It
> was
> >my case, but perhaps it can be others
> configurations
> >that don't give "x86_64-pc".
> >G. Moko
> >

> That method has not been proven yet, hence why it's
> not in the book. In
> fact there is talk about removing the chroot section
> altogether.

Okay, if chroot is removed, no problem.
Just for information, chroot with 64bits kernel worked
fine for me. I've built a functionnal system, quite
ready to boot (still a little problem to make a good
initrd, because 64bits binaries are *very* much bigger
from 32bits ones, but it's outside the book's scope).
Thanks
G. Moko