Grub 0.97 in final installation

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Nov 24 03:40:50 PST 2005

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, Jim Gifford wrote:

> go moko wrote:
>
>> --- Jim Gifford <lfs at jg555.com> wrote:
>>

>> Yes, I can. I used Ken's suggestion, which is to use a
>> 64bits kernel in the i686 system and to chroot from
>> it. The result, if only the kernel is in 64bits, is a
>> target 'x86_64-unknown' instead of 'x86_64-pc'. It was
>> my case, but perhaps it can be others configurations
>> that don't give "x86_64-pc".
>> G. Moko
>>

> That method has not been proven yet, hence why it's not in the book. In fact
> there is talk about removing the chroot section altogether.

  I too got this, I assumed it was perhaps a minor typo in the book, and
reasonably obvious to anybody else affected.  But there are far bigger
problems to attend to first (e.g. glibc testsuites).

  FWIW, the decision about the machine type comes from config.guess, so
I fail to see how chrooting or booting can make the difference.