Grub 0.97 in final installation

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 07:33:52 PST 2005

go moko wrote:

>Secondly, in the command, it seems that the 'make
>install' needs a --host option, to install its files
>on the right directory. x86_64-pc is used only if it's
>the triplet of the current system, and it might not be
>the case, particularly if one use chroot method.
>
>G. Moko

When cross-compiling --host is passed to configure changing the target
tripplet grub is compiling for. But when you are rebooted you are
running on the new system with a new target tripplet (eg.
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu). The same applies when you chroot, because you
would have the same target tripplet as your host. Grub only cares about
x86_64-pc. As for booting with a 64bit enabled kernel, This is an idea
I've had for a little while. I decided that it was a waste. why finsih
building the cross-tools and the temporary system, the cross-compile
your 64 bit kernel, then reboot your host with your 64bit kernel, and
then chroot. I would just assume reboot into my temporary system with
the 64bit kernel. Not only will it be faster, because its almost 99%
that your host has some memory gobbling GUI running on it but, you could
always install telnetd or something and then connect remotly to compile.
So the excuse of "I don't want to type" isnt applicable here. The only
valid excuse is if you only have one computer, but chances are that if
you only have one computer you arent going to be looking into LFS, let
alone CLFS.

-Joe Ciccone
jciccone at gmail.com
joeciccone at crazyeyesoft.com