Alsa ?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 25 13:42:03 PST 2005

  I'm starting to wonder if this might be a glibc or udev problem:
alsamixer doesn't work on either of the boxes where I would expect it to
(ppc32, x86_64 multilib), each of which has the sound drivers built in.
These are both running 2.6.14 kernels, with alsa-1.0.9, and when I try
to run alsamixer I get

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
directory

  strace only shows that none of the sound devices exist.

  Both these boxes had working sound in the past (ppc version of
LFS-6.1, and pure64 variant of LFS-6.1), and the kernel configs
have come forward with 'make oldconfig'.

  Anybody here got sound working ?  Any suggestions for what might be
broken ?