grub segmentation fault

jstipins at umich.edu jstipins at umich.edu
Fri Nov 25 14:24:15 PST 2005

Quoting Joe Ciccone <jciccone at gmail.com>:

> jstipins at umich.edu wrote:
>
>> Hey everybody,
>>
>> Grub builds successfully on my pure-64 x86_64 linux system now, using the
>> latest cross-lfs instructions.  When I run it, though, it segfaults
>> immediately.
>>
>> Just wanted to check if this is the normal behavior at this point, or if
>> it's something unique to my installation?
>>
>> -Janis
>>

> What optimizations are you using. The only time I've seen grub segfault
> is with optimizations such as -march or -O3.
>
> -Joe Ciccone

No optimizations.  CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS are both unset.

I apply the pure64 patch, and then autoreconf, and then
./configure --prefix=/usr --host=x86_64

"make check" passes.  But the grub executable segfaults, even on a
"grub --help".

I'm using gcc4.0.2 with glibc-20051024.  Also:

/sources# file /usr/sbin/grub
/usr/sbin/grub: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), for
GNU/Linux 2.6.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.0,
not stripped