Multilib, the hard way?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Nov 27 05:44:32 PST 2005

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005, Ryan Twitchell wrote:

> This all does make my plan sound tricky. It may mean I end up building in
> full 32-bit support anyway. That's kind of ironic, but I guess I really build
> the pure 64-bit system just to learn. Maybe now I get to do some more of
> that.

  I think it *will* be tricky.  If you are able to install wine on a
32-bit system (hint: creating multiple disk partitions for testing
installs is a good idea when you are living on the bleeding edge!), you
can at least confirm that it will support the applications you care
about, and you can establish the dependencies.

  Then, you need to do something like build the i686 toolchain, chroot
for the native system (you probably don't need to install everything in
chroot, e.g. vim seems redundant if you are prepared to edit as root in
the main system), then carry on and build the dependencies and then
wine.  To use it will be another story - you've got to be in chroot.  I
think debian has a package to assist users in running chrooted
applications.

  Undoubtedly, it will be educational.  You might be able to get away
with only building an i686 *target* toolchain, and use the host's sed,
gawk, grep, patch, bzip2, tar, coreutils to support the build, I don't
know.