Alsa ?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Nov 27 14:44:15 PST 2005

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005, Ken Moffat wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Nov 2005, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>
>> Ken Moffat wrote:
>>
>>>  I'm starting to wonder if this might be a glibc or udev problem:
>>> alsamixer doesn't work on either of the boxes where I would expect it to
>>> (ppc32, x86_64 multilib), each of which has the sound drivers built in.
>>> These are both running 2.6.14 kernels, with alsa-1.0.9,
>>

>> You forgot to specify udev version.
>>

> Sorry, udev-070.  Just for completeness, glibc from 20050926 (ppc) and
> 20051017 (x86_64).
>
> Ken

  Tracked it down - I used to use a different udev-config file (same as
lfs-svn was using, i.e. -3) : that worked, it was only when I used the
-2 version to agree with the CLFS book that alsamixer broke.

  But, all of those are somewhat old!  LFS-SVN is now on
udev-config-5.rules to go with udev075.  I'm not running udev075 yet,
but with udev070 the udev-config-5.rules work for me.

  We, meanwhile, are using udev-config-cross-lfs-1.rules.  That is
equally broken for alsamixer.  The cause of the breakage seems to be
that the ALSA devices from controlC[0-0] through seq are missing.  I'm
slightly puzzled by this, I thought udev's default behaviour was to
create the devices, but not necessarily with the owners you would want.

  I'll open a new thread to talk about where we should be going with the
rules.