udev rules

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Nov 27 14:54:28 PST 2005

  New subject, so that people without alsa don't ignore it ;)

I've found out why alsamixer wouldn't work for me - I'd changed my udev
rules to version -2 to match the CLFS book (as it was when I started
these builds).  Reverting to version -3 works fine.  Of course, these
versions are all old, lfs-svn now has -5 and CLFS has cross-lfs-1.

  The bad news is that alsamixer is broken in cross-lfs-1 (the devices
starting at controlCn are missing), at least if sound is compiled into
the kernel (haven't tested modules).  The config-5 works correctly for
me (with udev070).

  I can see there might be reasons to use our own rules, e.g. if lfs-svn
dropped devices that aren't found on x86, but at the moment the regular
lfs rules support iSeries devices and dasd (s390) so I think there is no
reason to maintain our own rules.

  Anybody think we ought to maintain our own rules ?  If so, which
devices do you need that aren't supported by the regular lfs rules ?