udev rules

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Sun Nov 27 16:29:53 PST 2005

Ken Moffat wrote:

> We're an official LFS project, where is the benefit in forging a
> separate path for udev rules ?  And doesn't development happen on the
> list ?

This has been a goal of Cross-LFS since it's inception, to make sure all
devices are supported or a framework in place. I've gotten the
2.6.15-rc2 stuff working with the rules and configuration suggested by
Kay Sievers, but it can't be implemented until 2.6.15 comes out. This
will take care of all the BLFS issues, but as I have been told numerous
times, alsa is BLFS and not LFS, but it will be addressed in the new
package once 2.6.15 is out.

>  As part of the udev tarball ?  If so, how is CLFS different from LFS,
> which is happily using its own rules file ?  And I repeat, what
> devices do we need to support that aren't in the current LFS rules ?
> Or if not as apart of the udev tarball, what is the point of extra
> packages ?

This package was developed under the guidance of the Udev maintainer,
and I hope the LFS will accept this package as well. I can send you a
copy if you wish so you can see what the future holds.

--
------
jim at linuxfromscratch.org
lfs at jg555.com