udev rules

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Nov 27 19:07:09 PST 2005

Jim Gifford wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
>
>> We're an official LFS project, where is the benefit in forging a
>> separate path for udev rules ?  And doesn't development happen on the
>> list ?
>

> This has been a goal of Cross-LFS since it's inception, to make sure all
> devices are supported or a framework in place. I've gotten the
> 2.6.15-rc2 stuff working with the rules and configuration suggested by
> Kay Sievers, but it can't be implemented until 2.6.15 comes out. This
> will take care of all the BLFS issues, but as I have been told numerous
> times, alsa is BLFS and not LFS, but it will be addressed in the new
> package once 2.6.15 is out.

This is all well and good, but I fail to see how it has anything to do
with Cross-building. From my understanding the Cross-LFS project was
formed to show how we can expand our LFS build technique to work on
various archs. Build for any arch from any arch.

If you think you have a better way of handling devices than what
LFS/BLFS currently does, you should work at that with the idea of
bringing it into LFS, *not* changing Cross-LFS to by default use a
different system.

Jim, I understand your desires and goals, but this is not a Cross-LFS
issue. It's really an LFS issue, and it should be worked on there. If
anything, it should be done in a new branch of LFS trunk, not here.
Please don't bring this type of change only into cross-lfs simply
because you can.

--
JH