Why multilib? (MPlayer?)

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Mon Nov 28 20:02:02 PST 2005

jstipins at umich.edu wrote:

> Hi everybody.
>
> I was wondering: what is the advantage of having a multilib x86_64
> box, as
> opposed to a pure-64 x86_64 box?  Let's stick to the point of view of the
> linux user who is not developing and testing cross-platform code on his
> machine.
>
> As near as I can tell, there are only two advantages to multilib:
>
>  1. GRUB works.  (Although in theory this will work eventually on
> pure-64.)

Grub should work in Pure64 now. We added a patch, needs some testing

>  2. 32-bit libraries are needed to view video files encoded in Windows
>     formats (.wmv, .avi, etc).
>
> Actually, I'm not sure about the second one... is it true that there
> are no
> pure-64 codecs out there to view all of the major file formats?  If
> so, is
> there a technical reason why 32-bit is required, or is it just that
> nobody
> has gotten around to writing 64-bit versions yet?

?? It's a library that is used for a file doesn't matter if it's 32bit
or 64bit.

> One more thought.  It seems like the goal on a mulitlib platform would be
> to have as much 64-bit code as possible... why then /lib and /lib64?
> Would
> it make more sense to have a /lib and /lib32, or is that insane?

Unfortuantly we didn't set this standard it was setup by people who
designed systems. I personally would like to see
a /lib/{32,n32,64} setup. Maybe for the next release.

--
------
jim at linuxfromscratch.org
lfs at jg555.com